Monday, February 19, 2007

miscellaneous 2

Baseball is really big in Japan. They've been playing it since the 1880s.

I was sorely tempted by these, but it would have been hard to get them home in one piece. (This and the above photo are of the same market in Kyoto where Emma is seen somewhere below buying a turquoise housecoat.)

This clocktower in Matsuyama is a relatively recent addition to the city. Every hour it celebrates the novella Bochan by Natsume Soseki (set in Matsuyama, and rather down on the place) with moving parts and music.

Here is the clock moments before it burst into life. The guy with the yellow jersey is a very excited tour-guide.

Matsuyama again. An extraordinary collection of stuff arranged on the Youth Hostel reception desk.

I was trying to capture exotic vegetables.

The Ryokan Hiraiwa in Kyoto in darkness. We stayed there two nights.

Our room at Hiraiwa.

Diagonal zebra-crossing! And part of Kyoto station.

Lawson rides again! In Takayama, I think.

Walking the Path of Philosophy, Kyoto.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been making enquiries about Lawson shops. My Japanese contact tells me they are a high quality outfit. All of life's necessities are there. I thank you for bringing them to my attention. I can be proud.
Apparently, they're branching out into a variety of ranges, 'Lawson Natural' to name but one. The contact was less clear about the USP of 'Lawson Natural' but it may be organic products. They are also trying to make it in America. I could be a global player.

Jaz said...

Cool collection you got there!

Hostels in Cartagena